On Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/National Pancake Day, my son's school hosted a Read Across America Celebration/Family Literacy Night. Whew!
With all those words, it was hard to slip a bite of pancake in edgewise. Of course, the school celebrated with a pancake-themed book.
We were treated to a reading of Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond's If You Give a Pig a Pancake by actor Gary Cole. Groups of students also read pancake-themed poetry by Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky.
As for our esteemed reader, talk about class. This was no read-and-run event for Mr. Cole. He stayed the entire evening to eat dinner, sign autographs, and mingle. Bravo!
I applaud the teachers, parents, students, and school staff for planning and organizing such a wonderful event. I only wish this could happen more than once a year!
- ► 2010 (48)
- A Mouthful of Words and Pancakes
- The Kidlitosphere's Poetry Friday: Macaronic Verse
- Corpus Libris: Are You Book Enough?
- Librarypalooza! Los Angeles Public Library: Los F...
- Librarypalooza! Los Angeles Public Library: Arroy...
- I Love KidLit!
- Random Picture Book Thought, or THE GROUCHY LADYBU...
- Librarypalooza! Burbank Public Library: Buena Vist...
- Los Angeles Public Library Mural
- Why I Love My Hubby
- There Are Cats in This Post
- We Share a Certain Chemistry
- Librarypalooza! Glendale Public Library: Montros...
- Librarypalooza! Huntington Beach Public Library
- Hippo Birdie Two Ewes, James Joyce!
- ▼ February (15)